The project intends to implement an integrated strategy for the urban regeneration of 18 Municipalities of the Madonie area, part of the Metropolitan City of Palermo, Sicily.
The project capitalizes the results achieved in its previous implementation in 2015, which produced over 350 multidisciplinary artistic events and led to the realization of 23 Multi-purpose Cultural Centres in Sicily. The project was supported by a network of about 100 Sicilian Municipalities, Ministries of Culture and UNESCO National Commissions from 10 Mediterranean Countries (see: www.i-art.it).
The involved territory
The project involves 18 Municipalities of the Madonie district, a strongly identifying territorial system linked to the homonymous park and mountain ridge. The inhabited centres of the area transmit values and qualities that result from long historical stratifications. Intertwining with environmental and landscape peculiarities, today the centres offer a dense richness also expressed in local tangible and intangible cultural heritage. I ART focuses on the strengths of the territory, launching a development path that aims to reduce the marginality of the context and reconfigure it as a creative and attractive system.
The public-private partnership intends to activate a process of regeneration and redevelopment of the area of the 18 municipalities involved, launching an integrated path oriented towards sustainable development.
The main goals of the project are the following:
- Urban regeneration of involved villages and creation of a diffused cultural system in the Madonie district;
- Improvement of urban decorum quality;
- Enhancement of urban-scale performances and services, including the development of third sector practices for social inclusion;
- Adaptation of infrastructures for social, cultural, educational activities and services: 9 of the 18 buildings involved in the project will be interested by restructuring and adaptation measures in order to make them functional to their new intended use.
Thus, 9 of the 18 buildings involved in the project will be interested by restructuring and adaptation measures in order to make them functional to their new intended use.
These goals will be achieved through the activation of integrated actions such as: the creation and networking of Multi-purpose Cultural Centres (CCP) set up with multimedia equipment and immersive contents; the creation of networks such as MILLEPERIFERIE platform for the systemization of projects, events, initiatives and processes of urban regeneration of the suburbs; the launch of workshops and orientation activities to strengthen key competences of the territory; the creation of street art and digital urban art interventions through the involvement of international artists; the development of communication and marketing activities.
- Renovation and multimedia setting-up of Multi-purpose Cultural Centres;
- Networking actions and promotion of activities for the suburbs;
- Development of orientation services and courses on issues related to the sustainable regeneration of the suburbs;
- Realization of street art and digital urban art works in augmented reality;
- Actions of web and social media communication and content production.
The main expected results of the project are the following:
- Revitalization and regeneration of participating municipalities;
- CCPs networking and structuring of permanent forums for the elaboration of adequate development and enhancement policies with an active and participated involvement of communities;
- Increase of liveability and attractiveness for non-residents thanks to the effects of CCPs and urban art interventions;
- Restoration, according to bio-architecture techniques, and energy efficiency of existing buildings in the suburbs and their re-functionalization with cultural, tourist, educational and social activities.